27 November 2010

I know I am in France when...

As I get to the three month mark in France, I thought I would reflect a little bit about how I have adapted to the language and culture as well as how I am still quite obviously an American. I tried doing this by including a list of some of the habits I have changed, and some of the ones that I can't really break. I also wanted to include a some photographs of some of the things that characterize Grenoble for me, so you will find photographs I took in the centre-ville. Finally, there are some pictures of some of the things that I have been doing, such as celebrating Thanksgiving.

I know I am in France when I:

  • start to really like blue cheese, carbonated water, and other foods I didn't like before
  • know how to say some words in French but not in English
  • don't do much on Sunday because most things are closed
  • am in class for 6 hours in one day
  • eat yogurt for dessert
  • have internet access half of the time you did in America
  • kiss people on each cheek way more than you hug people
  • take public transportation everyday
  • think it is normal to watch movies dubbed in French
  • have favorite cheeses out of the countless types
  • have a favorite place to buy baguettes for under a euro
  • eat herbs de provence on more than one meal per day
  • bought a pair of slippers
But I know I am still an American when I...

  • still like to wear my sweatshirt hood sometimes (such as right now)
  • am the only person with a flannel shirt
  • still love peanutbutter
  • sometimes call soccer 'soccer' instead of 'football'
  • don't think there is any spicy food here unless it is ethnic
  • am still confused why people think American brands like Abercrombie and American Eagle are super cool
  • know what real Mexican food tastes like
  • oh right, have a super obvious accent
Despite my struggles with France and France's struggles with me, I still, of course, love France!

My desk in France that includes some very useful things to me: computer, French keyboard with accents, French-English dictionary, French dictionary, book of verb conjugations, and the map of France on my wall

Snow on a nearby mountainside on a late November morning

Café at Place Notre-Dame


A floral shop, there are a lot more of these in France Tattoo land, a backup in case I drop out of school
Entrance to the BEST boulangerie in Grenoble. I go there to buy baguettes and an occasional pain au chocolat

Patricia and I just before Thanksgiving dinner with several other Americans.

(almost) Everyone in my class. We had a dinner last Friday in one of the kitchens as the semester comes to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment