01 February 2011

Another view of Paris

 Paris metro station

Café in Paris

After 2 nights in Clermont-Ferrand, I took the TGV to Paris and stayed in a nice hostel that was basically an apartment flat with several beds. When I first got on the metro, I remembered exactly how different and fast paced Paris is compared to Grenoble, Clermont-Ferrand, and the rest of France. Yet, I really love visiting Paris, and after I dropped my stuff off on my bed, I walked from the Montparnesse train station to the Eiffel Tower. I don't really care how touristy it is, how many pictures I have seen of it, or how many times I have seen it, the Eiffel Tower is still exciting to see.


The Eiffel Tower twinkling on the hour


That night in the hostel, I talked with a few of the other people as well as the manager of the hostel. The manager was a French woman who brought her dog everywhere. It was so interesting to talk to her as we talked about the differences in culture she has experienced while working in the hospitality business. 

The next day I traveled around the city with a girl from San Franciso. I saw some things I have already seen as well as some new things!
Le Moulin Rouge! I'll be honest though, it seemed a little more magical in the movie.

Shelves of candy at a candy store in the Montmartre district

The Sacre-Coeur Cathedral - my favorite part of Paris

View of Paris from the stairs at Sacre-Coeur

Art market behind Sacre-Coeur. Advice: don't let people draw you or make a bracelet for you.

Art in Paris

Me on a chalk drawing that someone drew on the ground near the Centre Pompidou. Despite being creepy, it was pretty well done. Below it said Happy New Year in French.

The Eiffel Tower in the fog on a early and cold January night.

A string orchstra playing for money at the huge metro stop Châtelet.

The Grand Arc in the business district of Paris. It is on the other end of the Champs-Elysées from the Arc de Trimphe

Unfortunately, I didn't see Quasimodo. Can you?

Inside Notre-Dame

The bridge of locks with Notre-Dame in the background. Lovers write their name on the lock and secure it on the bridge. I assume they throw the key into the water. Some of the locks on the bridge were several decades old.

Overall, I really enjoyed going back to Paris because this time I spoke better French and understood a little bit more about French culture. I don't think I would want to live there because it is so busy and a bit stressful, but it really is a wonderful city.

No comments:

Post a Comment