04 February 2011

So maybe my favorite part about Amsterdam was the library...

My final destination on my trip was Amsterdam, Netherlands, which seemed to be quite a popular destination for many people I talked to. Once again, Amsterdam was quite different from the other cities I have visited so far in Europe. Most noticably was the amount of bicycles around the city. Dutch sounds nothing like French, but  would guess that it is closer to English or German. The Dutch in Amsterdam speak very good English though.


Thousands of bikes locked up outside the train station

The fact that Amsterdam is basically build around a bunch of canals makes it unique in itself. There were boats and house boats that lined that banks and several bridges.

The sun settnig on a canal in Amsterdam

Amsterdam buildings are like buildings in France.

A row of house boats

Castle and market near my hostel

Unlike Paris and Brussels, I didn't really meet anyone to travel around the city with, so I spent most of my time exploring by myself. I went to the Van Gough Museum, the Anne Frank House, and the Dutch Resistance Museum. It was the farthest north a traveled, and was definitely the coldest and rainiest!

Rows of wooden shoes sold at a tourist shop

Amsterdam at night

The Red Light District and a canal full of swans

I'll be honest though, I think one of the coolest things I saw in Amsterdam was the library. It is the best library I have ever been to: I didn't need a password to use the internet, there were comfy chairs all over, a floor of music and movies, art displays on some floors, Macs and PCs availible to the public, 6 stories of books, and a delicious cafeteria on the top level! I ate a lunch of a banana-pear smoothie and mini sandwich on while watching the freezing rain come down over the city.
Cafeteria on the top floor

Funky couches where people can use Macs

Cool lights on the first floor

I enjoyed being in Amsterdam even though the weather was a bit unenjoyable. I also found a bookstore selling English books, and I looked around for a little, not really expecting to buy anything. But, in the section by Dutch authors, I picked up a book called In Europe, which is by a journalist who traveled around Europe to write a book about 20th century Europe. Starting from the beginning of the century, the chapter titles are cities that had key roles during that time. For example, Berlin is the title of one of the chapters during WW1 and then again during WW2. I bought the book, found a coffee shop, ordered a large chai tea, and read for a few hours while the weather continued to be considerably disagreeable outside for a walk. For me, it is interesting to get a European perspective on the 20th century.

Amsterdam across the water

While I enjoyed exploring and seeing so many different things, I was ready for the 6:15 am train ride back to Grenoble, France! It was definitely time to do laundry, catch up on sleep, and make my own salad that I eat every night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment