03 April 2011

Charmant Som and glacial melt

Yesterday I went hiking in the Massif de Chartreuse on the most beautiful day in Grenoble since early October. It was so nice to get some fresh air, sunshine, and see all of the new wild flowers blooming. The stream was a clear blue, but freezing cold from glacier melt, and there were a few patches of snow I walked through in my tennis shoes and shorts. It was the perfect day for a hike and I am loving the change in weather!

This is where the bus from Grenoble dropped us off

Map of the region on the side of a building in St. Pierre-de-Chartreuse


Wildflowers in a field on the way up

What hiking signs in France look like

House built in 1880

View of Charmant Som on a clear spring afternoon


Mark of the Chartreuse monks on the side of a rock at a viewpoint. I could see the Monastery that I visited in the fall and the winter from there. This is the same symbol that is on the Chartreuse liquor. 

The stream from glacial melt. Freezing but refreshing on a warm day.

 And don't forget, it was April Fool's Day a couple days ago, which the French call Poissons d'Avril. Back in Grenoble, this what I found on the column of one of the buildings: fish stickers!

No comments:

Post a Comment