26 April 2011

Clocks, bears, flowers, and francs

Last weekend I went to Switzerland to visit my friend Carmen who worked at Camp Orkila with me a few years ago. She lives with her family in an adorable Swiss village called Reiden in the middle of the country. I took the train from Grenoble to Olten where I met her. It was so nice of her to have me over and I really enjoyed spending time with her and seeing Switzerland.

I had an hour in Geneva, so I walked around for a bit and found this clock made out of flowers. 

Part of Lake Léman and the pier

The Swiss countryside is so beautiful, and this is what I saw when I looked out the train window: tranqual pastures, many of them in bloom with yellow folwers used to make a cooking oil. 

The next day Carmen's friend Nadia, Carman, and I took the train to various cities and villages west of where we were. We had a couple hours in Bern and then took the train north to a village. There we caught a boat to Neuchâtel and walked around a bit.

Nadia, Carmen, and I in Bern


Food market outside a government building

Woman buying flowers at the market

 Famous street with a bunch of regional Swiss flags. I think I was just about the only tourist, which isn't normal.

Famous clock in Bern. There really are lots of clocks in Switerland. 

Another view of Bern

The symbol of Bern is the bear, and they actually have 3 or 4 real bears in a place along the river. Here is one of them!

Murten: where we caught the boat to Neuchâtel. It was nice and sunny along with a beautiful view of the water.


Little boy who has already mastered sailing. He was near one of the docks the boat stopped at. 

View from the boat

Neuchâtel

Rooftops in Neauchâtel

Can you see the similarities between my photo and the postcard I bought in Neuchâtel?


On Saturday evening, we ate dinner with some of Carmen's good friends. It was a beautiful evening and it was really fun just hanging out. I learned maybe one or two words in Swiss German :)

Carmen's friend Tina and the beautiful evening

On Easter Sunday, we had a super delicious brunch with tasty cheese, meat, eggs, and really good bread that I had never had before. In the afternoon we drove to Lucern, a Swiss town on a lake. 

Old tower and bridge in Lucern


Famous lion scuplture in Lucern

Carmen said that Lucern is "the most beautiful city in Switzerland"

On Monday morning before I left, Carmen and I went for a bike ride to a village close to Reiden. It was so beautiful! I love Switerland!

1 comment:

  1. I love the photo of the boy in the sailboat. There were children in Perth doing the something while my sailing class was going on. They were way better than me!

    ReplyDelete